Friday, May 23, 2014

40 Day Challenge - Draw Closer to God & Your Hubby (Day 26: Set Apart From the World)


Here's the thing about being a follower of Jesus Christ: we're weird. The world doesn't understand why we do what we do or why we believe what we believe. Just by taking this challenge on, you are in essence setting yourself apart because you will look different, talk different, and act differently than everyone else. Conversations get harder to be apart of because all you want to talk about is Scripture, the rest seems like nonsense. People look at you cross eyed because every answer to every question is "JESUS!" The fact that you have chosen to submit to God, which also means submitting to your husband, is *gasp* horrible. 

And it gets harder and harder to explain to people who are not willing to listen....

I've found myself, on many, many days lonely. There is nothing about today's me that is the same as the me of five years ago, or even 25 days ago! I want to, as Paul says in 1 Corinthians 13:12, look in a mirror and see Christ. I want to be like him. And this process of sanctification, of being set apart, is not popular.

Here's the truth in being a follower of Christ: the world HATES Him. You can talk about God all you want, but the moment you mention His Name, hair bristles up. That's how you know you're different and as a result, you won't be popular by this world's standards. You see, Jesus told His disciples in John 15:18, "If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you." Because we believe in the gospel: that Jesus lived, died, rose again, is seated at the right hand of God and is coming back again, we are not of this world.

DO NOT BE FOOLED WITH THIS STATEMENT, "Well, I believe in God."

SO.DOES.SATAN. and he knows the Bible better than you. He is the king of lies and will use the Bible incorrectly for his agenda - to lead you astray. Which is why Paul is telling us to constantly renew our minds according to Scripture so we are not held captive by what the world is telling us.

If you submit to God's Word in your life, you will be hated, because all the world will see is Christ in you, and they hate Christ. Christ is the dividing line between heaven and hell, if you choose Christ, you choose life, if you don't... eternal damnation is the consequence.

By making it this far you have chosen to believe in the gospel (day 1) to submit to God's plan in your life, to glorify GOD for HIS greatness through song, prayer &etc. even in tribulations, to love your husband even when he doesn't deserve it, to submit to your husband because God is calling you to do so, to make your inner desire, your entire purpose in life JESUS CHRIST, to trust in God with all your heart, mind, body and soul, and to embrace self-sacrifice because Jesus did the same for you. Is there anything about those tasks that are popular?


Drawing closer to God means you are pulling farther away from the world.

As a result, you will have lonely days. EXPECT THEM and be prepared to combat them. Remember that list I had you write on day 10 to redirect your thoughts to Christ? Go back to that list and add to it if you need to by asking this question: on the days I am lonely, afraid, depressed, or discouraged how am I going to redirect my thoughts to Christ - my hope, my joy, my purpose, my everything - so I am renewed and ready to face whatever the day brings?

This is what I wrote on Day 10:
  • Preach yourself the gospel (Day 1).
  • Quote Proverbs 3:5-6. 
  • Listen to Aaron Keyes Sovereign Over Us and/or a playlist redirecting your thoughts to GOD's greatness.
  • Read what God says about himself starting in Job 38.
  • Thankful Journal
  • Pray.pray.pray.

This is what I'm adding:
  • Play my "God is Great" playlist on iTunes.
  • Call my Deb's and ask them to pray with me (I have two Deb's who disciple me and are constantly challenging me as a godly woman, wife and mother.)
  • Quote Scripture.
  • Listen to "Keep Making Me" by Sidewalk Prophets
Lord, keep making me till you are my one desire, till you are my one true love, till you are my breath, my everything... Lord please keep making me. Make me lonely, so I can be yours. Till I want no one more than you Lord. Cause in the darkness, I know you will hold me. 

If you just joined us I encourage you to start with day 1, there is an order to the madness...

No comments:

Post a Comment