Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Tuesday's Top Ten Plus Ten [Friends I Haven't Even Met... Yet!]

Have you ever read a book and think, "That person could be my BFF" or link up to a blog and wonder why on God's green earth have your paths never crossed? I do that all the time. These are a few people that I can't wait to meet for one reason or another, or people I know would be a forever friend, just because I could sit and listen to their wisdom....

Then, of course, after reading mine, check out Melany's...

1. Betsie Ten Boom - Her unwavering faith in Jesus Christ, despite her experiences in a concentration camp during WWII, is inspiring. No, not just inspiring. Uplifting. Motivating. Ugh, those words don't even give it justice. She is an example worth mimicking. I want to be like Betsie: a wonderful example of Christ.
Betsie is on the far left with her sisters Corrie (who wrote the book Hiding Place, where I fell in love with her sisters example of praying in all circumstances, giving thanks in all circumstances, and loving everyone even your enemies) and Nollie.
2. Mary - Jesus' mother. Every time Brielle does something where I think, "that is something I'll treasure in my heart." I think of Mary. (I know being the mother of God is FAR different than my experience as a mother, but to a very small degree, I understand why the authors wrote "... and Mary treasured all these things things in her heart" over and over again in the gospels.) I have so many questions to ask her! I CAN NOT wait to meet her in heaven.

3. Gloria Furman - The author of Glimpses of Grace. Her book forced me to think about God's grace in my daily life and convicted me as a mother, wife, and a Christian woman. I know we will be instant friends when we meet (if not on this earth) then in heaven. And when we meet I'm giving her a big hug and thanking her for her book. (See my book review here.) *Upon "Googling" her name I found that she has a blog - I highly recommend following her and letting a bit of her wisdom rub off on you! AND/OR read her book.

4. Robin Jones Gunn - (Who also has a blog!) She wrote the book Gentle Passages which is this tear jerking, amazing "guide," offering stories of encouragement for mothers as you help your daughter understand the changes of womanhood. If you have a little girl, you will bawl your eyes out just reading her short story called, "The Secret of the Fine China Plate." I'm not kidding. I can't wait to have my own "fine china plate" story.

5. Jackie Robinson
I will forever admire him for his strength, perseverance, and courage. His story of how he endured injustice because of the color of his skin is inspiring. I admired him before the movie came out, and after watching it, I loved him that much more. He is a man Americans should admire and hold in the highest esteem.

6. The woman who washed Jesus' feet (Luke 7:36 - end of the chapter). I don't know her name, but I can relate to her on so many levels. I love her story (it's definitely a fav) and I wrote about it here.

7. Horatio Spafford who wrote the poem It Is Well With My Soul (turned into a song) after tragically losing all of his children. His story is an incredible account of praising God while in the midst of heart ache. Casting Crowns wrote a song called Praise You in the Storm that reminds me of his story and why we should quite literally praise HIM in our storms. If you've ever heard, "Show me a hero and I"ll show you a tragedy" that'd be him.

8. C.S. Lewis because he's a genius. I just finished reading The Screwtape Letters and there are paragraphs that I honestly do not get, despite reading and rereading. Still, it's a fascinating book that gave me weird dreams the night I opened this book. Fascinating is only one description, the other could be intelligent, convicting, detailed...

9.  Milton Vincent (the pastor at Cornerstone Fellowship Bible Church) who wrote A Gospel Primer that has forever shaped the way I think about the gospel message, daily. It's a book I'll always keep close at hand.

10. Ruth Bell Graham - The more that I read about this amazing woman, the more I like her. I wrote about her once before (Prayer for a Husband) and after that I seem to see stuff about her everywhere (awesome)!

PLUS ONE: (I just couldn't help myself.) Laura Story who wrote two songs that have made quite an impact in my life with Christ: Indescribable (see story here) and Blessings. Music is a big part of my life and I'm so thankful for artists like Laura who strive to keep Christ their central focus in all walks of life, which in turn affects their listeners (like me).

Don't forget to visit Melany's friends! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment