Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Tuesday's Top Ten {Thankful Journal}

Here's 10 reasons why you should start a Thankful Journal:

1. Your perspective on day to day life changes. The rule is that you must write at least 5 EACH day. So no matter how your day is going you search for things to be grateful for, thus shifting your focus on the negative to the positive.

2. You begin to love the little things. Admit it. Life gets busy and when it gets busy you tend to lose sight of those things that should matter the most; like when your child stops what their doing to show you how much they love you, or truly enjoying a compliment someone gave...

3. Your prayer life improves. God gives and He takes away; when I'm writing in my journal I'm making a conscience effort to thank HIM for all that He has given me. It's an easy way to glorify Him. Now I'm finding myself thanking Him as I enjoy a simple walk to the church while holding my husbands hand - something I never would've done a year ago.

4. You suddenly don't need anything. As I began to thank God for all that He has given me I began to realize that I don't need a single thing. I don't need more shoes, clothes, scarves, money, a nicer vehicle, a bigger kitchen, finished house, because I have more than I could ever want or need in this lifetime.

5. Satisfaction in all life's circumstances improves. No matter what happens, I have at least 5 things to be grateful for during any given day. So on those days that are difficult, I go back and read all that I've been blessed with and "satisfaction" takes care of itself.

6. Reflecting on past "thank-you's" is a mood booster. This one is pretty self explanatory, but if I'm feeling down I read what I've written in the past and it always improves my mood, because I have so much for which to be thankful!

7. You become more disciplined in your thinking. Any negative thoughts are pushed aside as you focus on finding your 5 thank-you's.

8. Buying a cute, empty journal is so much fun! Shopping in and of itself is fun, (call me a nerd) but I get all giddy when buying a journal full of empty pages to fill (with some fun pens to use). I also go home and decorate it, which is also a ton of fun. (Simple pleasures often bring the most joy.)

9. Your HISTORY is recorded. You'll know what happened on such-and-such day and reflecting on any event in a positive way changes the way you think and feel. Most of the time you can look back and see God's hand in it all and glorify Him in it.

10. Doing it with someone draws you closer together. Every day since February my sisters and I read our thank-you's to one another. Recently I have two friends that joined me in starting a thankful journal and we also share our thank-you's daily. I invited the girl I disciple to do it with me as well. So I'm privileged to listen to 5 different women share their "thank-you's" from the previous day and I get to share mine with them. I'm sharing some of the most intimate pieces of my day with some amazing women - that would draw anyone close together. Plus, sharing my thank-you's with my sisters and friends also holds me accountable; knowing that I have to share my thank-you's forces me to think positively and BE THANKFUL no matter what.  
The moments I enjoy most are sitting down to a cup of coffee and listening to my sisters tell me their thank-you's. Life is good.
There isn't a day that goes by that I don't thank my sister Mel for starting this and being consistent in it. She's a blessing. Because this simple task has changed my life in so many ways, I want to encourage you to start a thankful journal as well. It's a journey that will change you. Being thankful day in and day out for ALL life's blessings is a discipline, not just a season. Begin your "Thankful Journal Journey" this Thanksgiving Season and enjoy all God has given you - big and small.

No comments:

Post a Comment