Monday, August 12, 2013

A Mommy Perspective on the Gospel

A mother goes through quite a bit to welcome a baby into the world: first trimester flu, growing pains, contractions, ripping, and the list could seriously go on for a long time; BUT the moment that child is put in a mother's arms all of that is forgotten and she falls head over heals in love. So much in love that she'd die for that baby without a moments hesitation. So much in love that it doesn't matter what that child does, they will always be loved. So much in love that this child will always have a home. So much in love that if a child is sentenced to death for something they did, any parent would gladly take their place so that their child might live. Parents begin to understand the concept of unconditional love once they become responsible for a little life.

I can't help but relate parenthood to the story of the gospel.

Jesus went through so much physical pain in order that His children might live. In fact, he was beaten beyond recognition as a human being. He became sin on our behalf, took the wrath of God (that should've been for our transactions!), defeated Satan and is now sitting in heaven waiting for us to come home. He loves His children so much that He died for us. He loves His children so much that He took our sentence (death) even though we deserved it. He loves His children so much that even if we screw up, He will still welcome us home. Jesus is a living example of unconditional love.

It's so much easier to understand the gospel when I think of my own relationship with my daughter. She is not perfect. She is a sinner. I am mindful of that even as she throws a hissy because I wipe her nose for the umpteenth time today. Jesus is a perfect parent who also knows that I am not perfect. I am a sinner. He is mindful of that even as I throw a hissy because my husband puts a serving dish in the wrong drawer for the umpteenth time this month. I know that my daughter is going to screw up. When she does screw up she will deal with the consequences, our relationship might change a tad, and the trust needs to be rebuilt, but I want her to understand that no matter what, I will always love her and she will always have a place to call home. The same goes for Jesus. He knows we are going to screw up. When His children screw up we will deal with the consequences, our relationship might change a tad, and the trust needs to be rebuilt, but Jesus wants us to understand that no matter what, we will always be loved and we will always have a place to call home. "God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)

Does that mean that our children should continue to break the rules? Nope. The consequences will become more severe. Does that mean they will lose our love? Nope. Never. Does that mean the moment our 2 year old, 8 year old, or 15 year old screws up they'll be booted out the door? No!

Does that mean that we, as GOD'S children, should continue to sin? Nope. (Read Romans 6) If we do, be prepared to deal with the severe consequences. "My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline or be weary of his reproof, for the Lord reproves him whom he loves, as a father the son in whom he delights." (Proverbs 3:11-12) Does that mean we will lose God's love? Nope. His love is steadfast, unchanging, patient. (Reread Romans 5:8)

I've been thinking about this a lot lately as I read Milton Vincent's "A Gospel Primer" and over the course of the last two weeks I've been engrossed in the gospel at church, in what I'm reading, and in my conversations with friends. It's amazing how my perspective on life has changed since becoming a parent and studying God's Word. It's also amazing what God has brought into my life, that is transforming me into a better wife, parent, sister, teacher, and friend. I believe God brought Milton Vincent's "A Gospel Primer" into my life (via my pastor's wife) because I tend to forget the power of the gospel and the love God bestowed upon me. When I forget that, I tend to lose patience, become irritable, selfish, and miserable. Vincent explains why it is important to preach the gospel to yourself every day. He said the gospel became his obsession. How it transformed his life blows me away. One of the thirty-one ways preaching the gospel transformed his life was loving others. Vincent says, "I am always willing to show love to others when I am freshly mindful of the love that God has shown me." (p.24) That is a truthful statement when you go to Walmart, stand in line at the grocery store, greet your friends at church, take care of your children at home, and how you love your spouse every day.

Being a mommy changed my perspective on every thing. The gospel has become my life and I can't help but see it in EVERY THING, including my relationship with my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment